The apple galette – sometimes referred to as the lazy man’s apple pie – is a rustic tart that is filled with fruit and baked “free form,” with no pie pan necessary. And this apple galette is the easiest of them all, without sacrificing the great spiced apple cinnamon flavor and flaky crust. It is healthy too!
We can all agree that apple pie is one of the best desserts ever, but when you aren’t looking for the hassle of making a whole pie from scratch, let me introduce you to the galette! Some call it the lazy man’s apple pie, and I think it is just perfect. I take the lazy recipe ceonpt a step further by using a prepared pie crust so all you have to do is assemble it!
Apple Galette Ingredients:
- Pie crust – I used a prepared pie crust. All you have to do is roll it out!
- Apples – can’t have an apple galette without apples! I used Honeycrisp because that’s my favorite, but you can use any sweet red apple you prefer.
- Brown sugar – I sweetened this with brown sugar but you could use coconut sugar.
- Lemon juice – adding some acidity helps balance out the flavors in the filling to give it a little something extra.
- Egg – I use an egg for an egg wash on the pie crust so the brown sugar sticks and you get a nice golden brown color.
- Spices – I used cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger to give this galette all the fall flavors!
And that is it! If you have any questions about the ingredients or subs you can use, feel free to ask me by leaving a comment below!
Tips for the Perfect Easy Apple Galette
Here are my tips for getting the best results every time.
- Leave enough room on the edge of your pie crust when placing your apples down so that you can actually fold it over, I do about an inch!
- Make sure you pinch your crust a little as you fold it over so that it actually stays put when baking.
- Slice your apples super thin – it will give the best taste/texture and crust-to-apple ratio for each bite if you do this.
And that is it! If you have any other questions that I didn’t address please don’t hesitate to reach out, I am here to help! You can do so by leaving a comment at the end of this post or shooting me a message on Instagram.
In addition to the listed ingredients, you will need:
- a cookie sheet
- parchment paper
- a knife to slice your apple
- a bowl to toss your filling in
- a pastry brush for your egg wash