A soft gluten free crust with a warm apple cinnamon filling made with just a few ingredients and a healthy bread mix that makes these apple cinnamon hand pies both delicious, healthy, AND easy to make. The perfect pie that you don’t have to share.
I am ALL about single serve desserts. First of all, everything is better in mini form, that is just a fact. Second of all, you don’t have to share! Yes please. Also it is great for someone with my kind of sweet tooth because it enforces portion control 😛
These hand pies are ridiculously easy to make, they are gluten free, dairy free, and are so so yummy too. You could even have your kids help with these if they want to get in on the fun! They are the perfect way to get into the fall spirit and I just know if you love apple you are going to love these as much as I do.
If you want to check out some other single serve desserts be sure to try my single serve banana bread, single serve spiced peach crisp and my funfetti mug cake.
Or if you are just all about fall right now and are looking for some more apple recipes definitely check out my crock pot apple butter. And for the best of both worlds, try my single serve apple crisp! All of these recipes can be found using the search bar in the top right corner of the blog.
Ingredients You’ll Need for your Apple Cinnamon Hand Pies:
- Apples – duh! we use apple for the filling. I prefer honeycrisp but you can use your favorite.
- Simple Mills Artisan Bread Mix – This is what I used for the dough to make this recipe super simple. It is a great mix made with quality ingredients plus it is delicious and also gluten free!
- Cinnamon – adds to the flavor of both the crust and the mix. Apple and cinnamon just go so well together it would be silly to leave this out of the mix
- Coconut oil – We use this in the filling to cook it down and make it almost gooey like your favorite pie filling.
- Coconut flour – We add just a little bit of this to the bread mix, for texture and flavor.
- Agave – I used agave to sweeten my filling and my crust. I love agave because it is less refined than cane sugar. If you want to swap it though, swap for another sticky sweetener like maple syrup
- Egg whites – to help bind the crust
- Stevia – to add just a little extra sweetness to the filling. You could probably omit this if you want to, but don’t add more agave to the filling because it will mess with the consistency.
Tips for the Perfect Apple Cinnamon Hand Pies:
- I used Simple Mills Artisan Bread Mix for my crust, but if you want to go completely homemade you can use the crust recipe from my homemade poptarts.
- Don’t remove the apple skins – I like to retain all that good fiber and I don’t think you really notice them in there. Of course, you can remove if you prefer 🙂
- Roll your dough thin, but not too thin – there is a happy medium you want to achieve here. You want it thin enough that your end product isn’t all crust, but you want it thick enough to stay together. My suggestion is roll it as thin as you can and then you will see if it isn’t sturdy enough when you try to pick it up
And that is it! If you have a question that I didn’t answer above don’t hesitate to reach out to me via a comment below or a DM on Instagram, I am happy to help!
In addition to the listed ingredients, you will need:
- parchment paper
- a rolling pin
- a cookie sheet
- something to cut your dough with (I just used a small bowl, you don’t have to have a cookie cutter!)
- a pot for your filling
- a knife to cut your apples
- a medium mixing bowl for your crust
If you try this recipe please leave a rating and a review in a comment below! It would mean the world to me 🙂 If you remake on Instagram please also tag me at @donutworry_behealthy when you share so I can see your creation!
↓PIN ME FOR LATER↓