Six ingredients, one bowl, and two minutes is all you need to have this protein packed salted caramel mug cake ready to dive into! Makes a delicious dessert and is healthy enough for breakfast too!
I have been on a BIG mug cake lately. If you are also a fan when you are done with this one be sure to try my funfetti mug cake, my vegan chocolate raspberry mug cake, and my double chocolate mug cake. All great options! I love that they are single serve (because I have NO control around cakes :P) and they are SO easy to make. Cake in two minutes?! Yes please!
This salted caramel cake takes the BEST flavor combo of all time (who doesn’t like salted caramel!?) and turns it into a moist, warm, fluffy, cake! Make some of my easy tahini vegan salted caramel and drizzle it on top, now that is a game changer, I am drooling just thinking about it.
Ingredients You’ll Need for your Salted Caramel Protein Mug Cake:
- Banana – we sweeten our mug cake naturally with a banana so that means this is a refined sugar free cake, plus the banana gives it a great texture. The riper the better!
- Almond flour – this is my favorite flour to use for mug cakes, I think it yields the best texture plus it is gluten free.
- Baking powder – to help our cake rise!
- Salt – salt adds depth to the other flavors in baked goods, I always like to add a little.
- Salted caramel protein powder – this is what gets us our salted caramel flavor! I used Ancient Nutrition’s salted caramel protein powder because I love the quality and the ingredients (also has no refined sugar) but you could for sure try it with another brand if you have a favorite!
- Egg – the egg helps bind the cake and also helps it rise. I haven’t tried this cake with a flax egg to make it vegan so I am not sure if that works but if you give it a try let me know!
And that is all you need! Six simple ingredients between you and mug cake deliciousness. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions about any of them!
Tips for the Perfect Salted Caramel Protein Mug Cake:
Okay the best part about mug cakes is how easy they are! As long as you got a microwave, a microwave safe mug or bowl, the listed ingredients, and a fork to mix and then dive in with, you are ready to go! But here are my top tips so you get the perfect cake the first time:
- Don’t substitute the flour. Just don’t do it. I have had the best luck with almond flour in mug cake to get a good texture. Unless I have tested it with another flour and it has worked, I don’t want you wasting your ingredients.
- If you plan on transferring your cake out of the mug to actually eat it, I recommend spraying the mug with a little oil to get it out in one piece. But I don’t see why you’d feel the need to do this, but just in case!
- Make it even better by making a batch of my easy vegan tahini salted caramel and drizzling it on top!
- The riper the banana, the better. This is really our only sweetener in this recipe, and riper bananas will be much sweeter for you.
- Don’t microwave it too long – when you over cook it, the texture can get weird.
In addition to the listed ingredients, you will need:
- access to a microwave
- a microwave safe bowl or mug
- a fork
If you try this recipe, please leave a comment below and let me know what you think! If you remake on Instagram don’t forget to tag me at @donutworry_behealthy so I can see your creation and share in my stories!
↓PIN ME FOR LATER↓