You may have had homemade trail mix before, but have you had the BEST homemade trail mix? Unless you’ve already tried this recipe, I’d say you have not ;). This trail mix recipe is high protein, low carb & gluten free, but it is so gosh darn delicious you’d never know it is healthy!
The BEST homemade trail mix. We have got chocolate covered almonds, dried fruits, home toasted and salted seeds, high protein cereal, and some more nuts! We have all the goods to give you all the different textures and all the best flavors because that is what a good trail mix is all about! Plus this is a great use of a lot of all ingredients that you probably have left over and laying around too 🙂
If your snacking practices are anything like mine, you are going to love having this on hand to satisfy and sweet or salty craving that may come your way!
Ingredients you’ll need for the BEST Homemade Trail Mix:
- Chocolate covered almonds – I used Hu Kitchen’s hunks for this because they are vegan and refined sugar free.
- Seeds – I used raw pumpkin and sunflower seeds, because I think they taste the best!
- Nuts – I used some raw walnuts and pecans to add more variety to the mix as well as some different nutrients.
- Dried fruits – for a little sweetness! I used dried cranberries and dried apricots because they are what I had leftover from holiday recipe testing.
- High protein cereal – I used Three Wishes cinnamon cereal here, which I have recently fell in love with because it is high protein, low carb, low sugar, and so crunchy and flavorful! It does have cane sugar but you can swap for a cereal that doesn’t
- Spices – I use cinnamon, nutmeg, and sea salt to give a nice sweet and salty vibe to this trail mix
- As I mentioned, the cereal I use has sugar. You can swap this for the unsweetened flavor of Three Wishes, or another cereal you like that doesn’t have sugar. You could also get this crunch from pretzels or popcorn.
- If you can’t find chocolate covered almonds you can always use chocolate chips as your chocolate fix and regular almonds!
- You can swap any of the nuts or dried fruits or seeds for ones you like better if you see something you aren’t a huge fan of – this is totally customizable!
Tips for the BEST Homemade Trail Mix:
This recipe is super easy and customizable, but I do have a couple tips so you get it right the first time!
- If you use cereal, eat it quickly! It will get stale after a few days.
- When you roast the seeds, pat them dry. You don’t need a ton of oil added into the mix so if you went heavy handed just dry that off.
- Let the seeds cool, but not completely. You don’t want them completely melting your chocolate but I loved how some of them stuck to the almonds, and then the melted chocolate got on some of the other ingredients, and it helped the spices stick to everything. I think it is one of the secret tricks to making this the best!
If you have a question about something I didn’t cover here don’t hesitate to ask! You can leave a comment below or reach out via Instagram DM and I am more than happy to help.
In addition to the listed ingredients, you will need:
- a cookie sheet
- parchment paper
- cooking spray
- a large mixing bowl
Enjoy your snacking!Print
If you try this recipe please leave a rating and a review in a comment below! It would mean the world to me 🙂 If you remake on Instagram please also tag me at @donutworry_behealthy when you share so I can see your creation!
↓PIN ME FOR LATER↓