Fluffy, moist, and flavorful, while also gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free. This almond flour cake is the perfect way to celebrate whether it is a birthday or just a Tuesday afternoon!
There is nothing better than an occasion that calls for cake. Whether it is a birthday, anniversary, wedding, graduation, when a cake is involved, you know it is probably a happy time. And that is something I love about them! (if you are like me it could also just be a week day too 😉 )
Cakes naturally bring groups of people together to enjoy a delicious treat surrounded by people they love. And there is just something magical about that. What makes it even more magical is when it is a cake made with great ingredients that is allergy friendly so everyone can enjoy. Now that makes for a great cake and a great day.
I hope you are able to take this almond flour cake recipe and bring it into your home for those special moments that bring you joy. It will make them a little happier and a whole lot more delicious 🙂
Ingredients You’ll need for this Almond Flour Cake:
- Almond Flour – almond flour is the base of this gluten free cake. I have not tried any other subs and I would not recommend it because most gluten free flours act pretty differently.
- Tapioca Flour – we use some of this to help offset the heaviness of the almond flour and really create a great textured cake that tastes and feels like your favorite non-gluten free cake! Almond flour alone can be a little too dense.
- Coconut sugar – I used coconut sugar to sweeten this cake so not only is is gluten free, it is refined sugar free as well.
- Eggs – Eggs are both used as a leavener and a binder in this cake, which is especially important when baking with gluten free flours.
- Vanilla – adds an extra depth of flavor
- Milk – all good cake needs moisture! I used a plant based milk for mine so this cake is dairy free, you can use any milk that you prefer
- Coconut Oil – coconut oil adds fat to our cake which adds to the texture we want. It also is a great source of healthy fats so it is one of my favorite fat sources to use.
- Salt – every good baked good should have some salt in my opinion. It adds depth to the other flavors.
- Baking Soda – our other source of leavening. Again, very important when working with gluten free flours.
I have not tried substitutes for any of these ingredients. If you are wanting to you can shoot me a message or comment and I can let you know my thoughts on it! If you like this reicpe, be sure to try my gluten free brownies or these gluten free chocolate donuts!
Tips for the Perfect Almond Flour Cake:
This cake is my all time favorite cake recipe and the one I always use now. I love that it is gluten free, dairy free, AND refined sugar free but when you experience the taste and texture you’d never guess it! Here are my tips for making the perfect cake the first time:
- Follow the recipe – please! As mentioned, I have not tried subs and gluten free flours all work very differently. If you want an amazing cake just follow the ingredients and steps I laid out below and you will get one!
- Don’t over-bake – you want that light and fluffy texture and overbaking won’t help with that. The toothpick test is your best friend here!
- Let the cakes cool before removing from pans – this will help ensure they don’t stick
- Apply a crumb coat – I recommend doing this just for the perfect sleek and smooth finish to your cake once it is fully iced. All this means is you do a really thin layer of frosting on top of the entire cake (this does not include the layers in between, do those normally), and then put the cake in the fridge or freezer to set for a few minutes before applying the rest of the frosting.
And that is it! If you have a question I didn’t answer please feel free to leave it in a comment below or shoot me a DM on Instagram. I am here to help!
In addition to the listed ingredients, you will need:
- three 6 inch cake pans (or two 8 inch)
- 2 mixing bowls
- cooking spray
If you try this recipe please leave a rating and a review in a comment below! It would mean the world to me 🙂 If you remake on Instagram please also tag me at @donutworry_behealthy when you share so I can see your creation!
↓PIN ME FOR LATER↓