Classic pumpkin pie gets a new twist with the addition of a crunchy walnut streusel topping. Your friends and family will be requesting this elegant version of the traditional holiday dessert!
If you’ve been tasked with the job of bringing dessert to your Thanksgiving Dinner, then look no further than this Pumpkin Pie with a Walnut Streusel topping! Its ten times better than the recipe on the back of a can of pumpkin. Even your pumpkin pie haters will love this one.
Scroll down for full recipe with exact measurements
Pie crust: The pie crust serves as the base for the pumpkin pie and provides a delicious and flaky texture to complement the creamy filling and crunchy streusel topping.
- Eggs: Eggs play a crucial role in binding the pumpkin pie filling together. They also add structure and help create a smooth and custard-like consistency when combined with the other ingredients.
- Pumpkin Puree: Pumpkin puree is the star ingredient of the pie, providing the iconic pumpkin flavor and rich, velvety texture that defines this classic dessert.
- Evaporated milk: Evaporated milk is used to give the pumpkin pie filling its creamy and smooth consistency. It adds richness and enhances the overall flavor without making the filling too watery.
- Sweetened condensed milk: Sweetened condensed milk contributes sweetness and creaminess to the filling. It complements the pumpkin flavor and reduces the need for additional sugar.
- Salt: A small amount of salt enhances the flavors of the pie, balancing the sweetness and bringing out the richness of the pumpkin and spices.
- Cinnamon, Ginger, and Cloves: These are the traditional spices used in pumpkin pie, collectively known as “pumpkin pie spice.” They infuse the filling with warm, aromatic flavors that perfectly complement the pumpkin puree.
- Light brown sugar: Light brown sugar adds sweetness and a subtle caramel-like flavor to the filling, enhancing the overall taste profile of the pie.
- Flour: Flour is often used as a thickening agent to help the pumpkin pie filling set properly and maintain its structure.
- Butter: Butter is incorporated into the streusel topping to add richness and help create a crumbly texture when combined with the other ingredients.
- Walnuts: Walnuts are the star of the streusel topping, providing a delightful nutty flavor and a pleasant crunch to contrast the smoothness of the pumpkin filling.
Overall, the combination of these ingredients results in a luscious and flavorful pumpkin pie with a delightful walnut streusel topping. The pie crust provides a sturdy base, while the pumpkin puree, eggs, and milk create a creamy and custard-like filling infused with the warm spices of cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. The streusel topping, made with butter, cinnamon, flour, and walnuts, offers a delightful contrast in texture and flavor, making every bite of this pumpkin pie a delightful experience.
Using a large bowl, whisk together the eggs. Then, mix in the pumpkin, evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, salt, and spices until combined
Pour the pie mixture into the pie crust
Bake for 15 minutes, then turn the oven down and bake for another 50-60 minutes, or until set around the edges and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean
Allow to cool to room temperature before placing into the fridge
Walnut Streusel Instructions:
Using a medium bowl and fingers, pinch together all streusel ingredients to create a crumble
Remove pie from fridge and place onto cookie sheet
Cover the top of the pie with the streusel
Bake the pie for about 10 minutes
Allow to cool before cutting
Make sure to follow the baking directions. The pie might not turn out as well if you skip the change in oven temperature steps.
If you happen to be growing fresh pumpkin in your garden, feel free to substitute that in for the canned
If you are not a huge fan of walnuts, you can substitute pecans or sliced almonds in the recipe
More Recipes to Try:
- Homemade Pumpkin Cobbler
- Mini Caramel Apple Hand Pies
- Pumpkin Dutch Baby
- Pumpkin Scones and Caramel Walnut Topping