These peppermint cocoa Rice Krispie treats are a festive twist on the classic treat! Made with peppermint and mint chocolate chips, these will be a hit!
Imagine sitting on your couch on a warm winter night with a mug of hot cocoa with a candy cane in it, slowly infusing that peppermint flavor we all love this time of year. You are cozy and warm and your tastebuds are happy. Now imagine that in DESSERT form. That is what these peppermint cocoa rice krispie treats are! Your favorite dessert made with a festive flare. It is great to add to your holiday make list because they are super easy – no baking and no crazy ingredients! Plus they are a little healthier than what else will probably be out there 🙂
If you are looking for some other festive recipes be sure to check out my superfood Christmas cookies and my THREE ingredient dairy free hot chocolate! And if you just love rice krispies be sure to try my apple pie rice krispie treats they have a vegan caramel drizzle that is to die for!)
Ingredients You Will Need for Peppermint Cocoa Rice Krispies:
- Rice cereal – duh! You can use the classic rice krispie cereal, but if you want an option that Is certified gluten free, I like One Degree Organics brown rice crisps.
- Almond milk – I use almond milk to mix with my marshmallows instead of butter to make these rice krispies dairy free but you could substitute with butter or dairy milk.
- Mini marshmallows – again always a necessity for krispie treats! These help bind everything together and give them sweetness. If you want a vegan option you can check out Dandies vegan marshmallows
- Mint chocolate chips – I used Lily’s new mint chocolate baking chips to add some extra minty flavor to these. This particular chocolate chip has milk so the recipe is not dairy free with these, but you can use a vegan chocolate chip and just add extra peppermint extract!
- Peppermint extract– This gives these treats an extra boost of peppermint flavor. For a chocolate version, try using chocolate extract instead!
- Garnishes – I drizzled some extra chocolate on top of these as well as some crushed up candy cane to enhance that peppermint chocolate flavor. You don’t have to do this, just makes them a little more fun too!
Tips and Tricks
Tips for the best rice krispie treats (applies to any kind!):
- First, leave a handful of marshmallows out from melting. We will mix them in when we mix in the cereal. This adds some super creamy/marshmallowy texture to the rice krispies (especially fun for these since we are going for that hot cocoa vibe!)
- Then, you don’t want to press the krispies into the dish too hard. The harder you press them down, the more dense they become because you lose a lot of the air in there. For light and airy krispies, just press down lightly with your hands. And if you are wondering how to press them down with your hands without getting stuck to them, just drizzle a little water on your hands or use a layer of parchment paper in between.
- Lastly, I store these on the counter and not in the fridge. Keeping them colds hardens the marshmallows a little too much and the texture isn’t quite as good.
- Melt in chocolate to get that great cocoa flavor. You want to do this after taking it off the heat so that you don’t risk burning it!
That is it! In addition to the listed ingredients, you will need:
- a large pot for the stove
- something to stir with – I used a rubber spatula
- an 8×8 pan
- parchment paper
If you try this recipe please leave a rating and a review in a comment below! It would mean the world to me 🙂 If you remake on Instagram please also tag me at @donutworry_behealthy when you share so I can see your creation!
↓PIN ME FOR LATER↓