Kind of like a nutter butter flavored whoopie pie that is not only delicious, it is healthy too! These are the BEST nut butter cookie sandwiches because they are not only tasty, they are also gluten free, refined sugar free, and high protein!
Okay so try to imagine a nutter butter cookie. But then take away all that crunchy business and make it into a soft pillowy cookie that is more like a whoopie pie. Now take away all those icky ingredients you don’t really need and you have the BEST nut butter cookie sandwiches! These are awesome because the entire sandwich only requires six ingredients, they are SUPER easy to make, and they are so dang delicious.
Healthy enough to eat them for breakfast too. I won’t lie I’ve been enjoying them with my morning coffee since I made them 🙂
If you love cookies as much as I do be sure to check out my flourless chocolate chip protein cookies, and my salted caramel chocolate thumbprint cookies, when you are done with these guys!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Nut butter – I used Justin’s maple almond and it worked so well (plus had a little extra flavor!) but you can use any drippy nut butter for these
- Maple syrup – to sweeten the cookies. You could substitute for agave.
- An egg – to help bind the cookie ingredients.
- Gluten free all purpose flour – just a littttle flour to help round out the cookies. All purpose flour would work, too.
- Vanilla greek yogurt – this is the base of the filling. I use a high protein vanilla greek yogurt I find at Aldi that doesn’t have any added sugar. But a lot of brands use a lot of sugar so check that!
- PB fit – this is powdered peanut butter. I mix it with the greek yogurt to make the filling peanut butter flavored!
- like I mentioned, you can use any nut butter you want! Just use a drippy kind.
- You can sub the maple syrup for another sticky sweetener like agave or honey.
- For the egg, you could try a flax egg for a vegan friendly egg, but I haven’t tested that.
- You can sub the greek yogurt for any yogurt!
- And there are a few other brands of powdered peanut butter: there is PB2 and Crazy Richards Peanut Butter has one!
Tips for the BEST Nut Butter Cookie Sandwiches:
- I used a drippy nut butter. Basically any natural one will do (look for ingredients that are just nuts or nuts and salt).
- I made the cookies with almond butter but you can use any type!
- The dough gets super sticky so either put a little flour on your hands to roll, or use a cookie scooper.
- Don’t over-bake! That is my worst habit with cookies because I think they need to look done when they come out of the oven. Nope. They will keep baking on the cookie sheet as they cool! You just want to see the edges turning golden brown.
- You can use as much powdered peanut butter in the filling as you want. The more you add, the more peanut butter flavor and the thicker/sturdier it will be.
I think other than that these are super easy but if you have any questions I didn’t cover feel free to leave a comment asking or shoot me a DM on Instagram!
In addition to the listed ingredients, you will need:
- a mixing bowl
- a cookie sheet
- parchment paper
- a spoon
I can’t wait for you to try these!Print
If you try this recipe please leave a rating and a review in a comment below! It would mean the world to me 🙂 If you remake on Instagram please also tag me at @donutworry_behealthy when you share so I can see your creation!
↓PIN ME FOR LATER↓