The ultimate how to guide for making the cold weather confection that is all the craze – Hot Chocolate Bombs! I’ll walk you through how to make those delicious chocolate spheres filled with hot chocolate mix and marshmallows.
Kids and adults alike love a good cup of hot chocolate. These Caramel Mocha hot chocolate bombs take the flavor up to adult level with the addition of espresso in the cocoa. Add in some caramel tidbits and you have a delicious cup of cocoa!
Hot Cocoa Bomb Ingredients
- Chocolate Melting Wafers: Chocolate melting wafers are small, disc-shaped pieces of chocolate that are specifically formulated for melting and coating purposes. They have a higher cocoa butter content compared to regular chocolate bars, allowing them to melt smoothly and evenly.
- Powdered Hot Cocoa Mix: Powdered hot cocoa mix is a pre-packaged blend of ingredients that creates a quick and convenient way to make hot chocolate. It typically consists of cocoa powder, sugar, powdered milk, and sometimes additional flavorings like vanilla or cinnamon.
- Espresso Powder: Espresso powder is a concentrated and finely ground form of instant coffee. It is made from darkly roasted coffee beans that are ground into a fine powder. Espresso powder is commonly used in baking to enhance the flavor of chocolate-based desserts, as it adds a rich and intense coffee flavor.
- Caramel Tidbits: Caramel tidbits, also known as caramel bits or caramel chips, are small pieces of chewy caramel candy.
- Coffee Flavored Candy: Coffee flavored candy refers to various types of confections that are infused with coffee flavor. These candies can come in different forms, such as hard candies, chocolates, or chewy caramels. I used Wether’s original candy.
- Mini Marshmallows: Mini marshmallows are small, soft, and pillow-like confections that are typically used in hot chocolate, baking, or as toppings for desserts. They are made from a mixture of sugar, gelatin, and corn syrup, giving them a fluffy and chewy texture.
- Silicone Mold– You’ll need a silicone mold to create the shape. This one is similar to the one I used.
- Small paint brush or kitchen brush – You will need a clean paintbrush to coat the inside of the mold with chocolate.
How Do I Make Them?
What is the Best Chocolate to Use?
I personally prefer Ghirardelli’s Melting Wafers – they melt nicely and are easy to work with. You can also use a nice chocolate bar or quality chocolate chips. You will need to melt these carefully in the microwave and check on them every 10 to 15 seconds so they don’t burn.
What Variations Can I Make?
The possibilities are limitless. But always start with a good chocolate or white chocolate, or get creative and use a colored melting wafer for different occasions.
There are also many different flavors of cocoa you can use or add-ins such as: crushed candies, peppermints, toffee bits, crushed cereals, many different kinds of marshmallows.
The decorations are also many; sprinkles, drizzle chocolate, crushed candy, edible glitter.
How Long Will They Last and How Do I Store Them?
Store in an airtight container. These will last for a few weeks if kept in a cool dry place.
More Hot Chocolate Bomb Recipes
- Lemon Kit Kat Hot Chocolate Bomb
- Irish Cream Hot Chocolate Bomb
- Halloween Hot Chocolate Bomb
- Spiked Hot Chocolate Bomb
- Lucky Charms Hot Chocolate Bomb