Named for the melty dark chocolate that oozes out of the top, these dark chocolate lava cookies are made out of a healthy sugar cookie type base, that are then topped with one of my favorite quality dark chocolate bars that creates a combo that is hard to resist. I ate three after making them because I wanted to get them while they were hot 😛
Who doesn’t love a soft chewy cookie that is oozing with melty dark chocolate?? I mean if you don’t you are in the wrong place 😛 that about describes my love language in a sentence. I am a chocoholic and there is NOTHING better than chocolate when it is super melty. And with a cookie. Win win.
These cookies follow a more traditional recipe, but are healthier because they are made with coconut oil which provides great healthy fats, whole wheat flour which retains more nutrients than all purpose, and they use less than half the amount of sugar that most cookies do. Plus I chose a quality chocolate bar to put on top! So that way you can enjoy these at snack time without any silly guilt over what you are eating (although you should never feel guilty about eating a cookie!).
If you like these be sure to check out my quinoa chocolate chip cookies, my salty dark chocolate bar cookies, and my salted caramel chocolate thumbprint cookies. They are all great cookies that also give you some gluten free, vegan, and refined sugar free options!
Ingredients You’ll Need for Dark Chocolate Lava Cookies:
The great thing about these cookies are they are made with very few ingredients! Keeping it nice and simple for you.
- Whole wheat flour – I like using whole wheat flour because it is less processed and retains more nutrients than white flour
- Eggs – I use an egg to bind the cookie, I have not tried a flax egg but you could give it a shot for a vegan option! Eggs also provide some good fats and protein.
- Coconut oil – this is the main fat in these, and I used it because it is a healthy one!
- Tahini – I love the flavor and texture that tahini gives to baked goods, so I included it here and am glad that I did!
- Brown and cane sugar – I used a little of each to make these the perfect sweetness and texture.
- Baking powder – to help them lift!
- Salt – a little bit of salt in baked goods adds depths to the other flavors. I usually always add just a little!
- Chocolate bars – for the lava! I used JoJo’s Go Hawaiin bars. I love them because they don’t have added sugar, they are soy and gluten free, and delicious! But you can use any bar you can cut into squares.
Tips for the Perfect Dark Chocolate Lava Cookies:
These cookies are really quite easy but here are some tips so you get the perfect batch the first time!
- Use softened coconut oil – not melted! That helps form a great dough texture – melted will not work the same way 🙂
- If you need a gluten free option – I think the best bet would be gluten free all purpose flour. But I haven’t tested any other flours yet.
- If you don’t have tahini – you can probably omit it and be fine. I just like the flavor and texture it adds!
- Cool your dough – even if just for a few minutes. It just helps create a chewier cookie.
That’s it! If you have any other questions I didn’t answer feel free to leave them in a comment below or shoot me a message on Instagram and I’d love to help!
In addition to the listed ingredients, you will need:
- parchment paper
- a mixer
- a bowl
- a cookie sheet
If you try this recipe please leave a rating and a review in a comment below! It would mean the world to me 🙂 If you remake on Instagram please also tag me at @donutworry_behealthy when you share so I can see your creation!
↓PIN ME FOR LATER↓