Looking for a tasty treat recipe that uses coconut sugar? I’ve got you covered! This coconut sugar hard toffee recipe will satisfy your sweet tooth!
Benefits of Coconut Sugar
Coconut sugar is a sweetener derived from the sap of the coconut palm tree. Some potential benefits of coconut sugar include:
- Low glycemic index: Coconut sugar has a lower glycemic index compared to regular sugar, which means it has a slower, more gradual effect on blood sugar levels.
- Nutritional content: Coconut sugar contains small amounts of vitamins and minerals, including iron, zinc, calcium and potassium.
- Sustainable production: Coconut sugar is often marketed as a more sustainable alternative to regular sugar, as coconut palm trees can grow in a variety of conditions and do not require heavy fertilization or irrigation.
Here is a simple recipe for making toffee using coconut sugar.
Coconut Sugar Candy Recipe
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Line a 9×9 inch (23x23cm) baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the coconut sugar, heavy cream, butter, vanilla extract, and salt.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and continue to cook, stirring constantly, for about 10 minutes or until the mixture reaches 300°F (149°C) on a candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat and pour the mixture into the prepared baking pan. Let cool completely.
- Once cooled, use the parchment paper to lift the toffee out of the pan and break into pieces.
Enjoy your homemade coconut sugar toffee! Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.