Chocolate covered strawberries in cake form? Count me in. This chocolate almond flour cake is layered with a healthy strawberry jam frosting and then covered with a chocolate frosting to take our favorite chocolate dipped fruit to a whole new healthy dessert heaven.
I am a sucker for chocolate covered strawberries. But let’s be real what is better than cake?? Combining a chocolate almond flour cake that is actually a HEALTHY cake recipe, and covering it with some strawberry jam frosting AND adding chocolate frosting – now that is just what I call the best dessert ever. Especially so close to Valentine’s Day 😉
Whether you are looking for a healthy Valentine’s Day dessert recipe for your Valentine, our Galentines, or you are looking for a healthy cake recipe for a birthday or just a Tuesday night 😛 I promise this one will not let you down. Even Neil won’t stop eating it and he never eats baked goods! Plus it is a lot easier to make than it looks!
If you are looking for some other fun Valentine’s Day recipes, I created a round up with 10 Healthy Valentine’s Day Recipes – it includes not only desserts but appetizers, and main courses too! Or if you just want to skip straight to all things dessert check out my other round up, the best DWBH baked goods! Or you can always find all of those recipes on my Desserts & Snacks page 🙂
Ingredients You’ll Need for your Chocolate Strawberry Cake:
- Almond flour – I love making baked goods with almond flour. It is a grain free, gluten free flour, and it makes the best moist texture when you know how to use other ingredients to get it just right!
- Tapioca flour – Almond flour tends to be on the moist side, which can result in dense baked goods. We use a little tapioca flour to balance that out and lighten up our cake!
- Cocoa powder – for the chocolate flavor of course! I always use unsweetened. You can also use raw cacao powder which comes with even more health benefits.
- Coconut sugar – this is the sweetener I chose because I love the texture it adds to baked goods plus it keeps this recipe refined sugar free!
- Eggs – Help bind our cake and make it fluffy.
- Dairy free milk – For some moisture.
- Coconut oil – Adds healthy fats and also helps make for the great texture of our cake
- Cold brew – let me start by saying this will NOT make your cake taste like coffee. Throwing in cold brew helps get get that super rich dark chocolate color. You can use cold brew, instant coffee, or coffee concentrate.
- Baking powder – to help give us some lift!
- Salt – salt adds depth to our other flavors when used in baked goods.
Tips for the Perfect Chocolate Strawberry Cake:
This is seriously the best healthy chocolate cake I have ever tasted. I was thrilled with how it turned out so I want to help you make the perfect cake the first time!
- Don’t swap flours! Almond flour is not one that you can just sub 1 to 1 with a whole wheat or gluten free all purpose. It has very different properties. So if you want to ensure the best results, make sure you stick to the almond flour as directed!
- No coffee? You don’t necessarily need it. It just adds some depth to the chocolate flavor and it also helps us get a really rich color. But don’t let that stop you from making this cake. You can always add a little more cocoa powder if you want to try that too.
- Use room temperature eggs – when a recipe calls for a room temp ingredient – there is a reason! Room temperature eggs help make for moisture, fluffier baked goods.
- Don’t fill your cake tins all the way – allow some room for them to rise! I actually had a little batter leftover, but didn’t feel like it was enough for a fourth layer (but you could totally try!), so I made a mini cake skillet out of it and it was delicious 🙂
- For the frosting – It is an art not a science. Add as much or as little jam and cocoa powder as you want so you get a consistency, color, and flavor you like!
If you have any questions that I didn’t cover here feel free to leave a comment with it or shoot me a DM on Instagram, I am happy to help!
In addition to the listed ingredients, you will need:
- three 6 inch cake pans OR two 8 inch cake pans
- cooking spray to grease pans
- two mixing bowls
- something to mix with
- a knife or spatula to frost the cake with
I hope you love this cake as much as we do!Print
If you try this recipe please leave a rating and a review in a comment below! It would mean the world to me 🙂 If you remake on Instagram please also tag me at @donutworry_behealthy when you share so I can see your creation!
↓PIN ME FOR LATER↓