This Asian-inspired broccoli salad is a flavorful and mayonnaise-free version of the classic dish. It is made with crisp edamame, spicy Thai red chiles, and a creamy peanut sauce to bring a unique spin to your dinner table that everyone will love.
This Asian style broccoli salad takes this classic dish to a whole new level! I am not even lying I am so excited with how this recipe turned out. All of the flavors of the veggies and the sauce complement each other so well. I promise you will love it.
While traditional broccoli salad is made with mayonnaise, I wanted to keep this recipe a little healthier so I created a flavorful, creamy peanut sauce using peanut butter, soy sauce, and maple syrup.
This recipe also includes edamame, red Thai chiles, and a rainbow of vegetables in addition to the broccoli. If you want to try a similar recipe you should check out my quinoa salad with a spicy peanut sauce and I also have a roasted carrots with tahini sauce two ways – one of which is a really good peanut sauce!
If you need something to serve this with, check out all of my main course recipes. It pairs really well with anything off the grill, or if you want to stay inside the kitchen, try it with my hemp crusted chicken or my strawberry balsamic chicken.
So if you are ready for your mind to be blown let’s get going.
Tips for the Best Asian-Inspired Broccoli Salad
- Be sure to blanch the broccoli. This creates a nice texture for the base of the salad.
- Try to cut the broccoli into bite sized pieces so it’s easier to eat.
- Feel free to adjust the seasonings of the dressing based on taste.
How to Blanch Broccoli
Blanching broccoli is a process of briefly boiling the broccoli florets or stems to partially cook them, then quickly cooling them in ice water to stop the cooking process. This technique helps to preserve the broccoli’s color, flavor, and nutrients.
Here are the steps to blanch broccoli:
- Fill a large pot with water and bring it to a rolling boil over high heat.
- While the water is heating up, prepare a bowl of ice water.
- Wash the broccoli and cut it into bite-sized florets. You can also peel and slice the stems into thin pieces.
- Once the water is boiling, add the broccoli florets and stems to the pot. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until they are bright green and slightly tender.
- Use a slotted spoon or strainer to remove the broccoli from the boiling water and immediately transfer it to the bowl of ice water. This will stop the cooking process and help the broccoli retain its color and texture.
- After the broccoli has cooled for 1-2 minutes, remove it from the ice water and pat it dry with a clean towel or paper towel.
- Add the broccoli to the salad!
In addition to the ingredients listed, you will need:
- a knife
- a large pot
- a strainer
- one large mixing bowl
- one small mixing bowl
I hope you enjoy!Print
If you try this easy broccoli salad recipe please leave a comment below letting me know what you think! If you remake on Instagram don’t forget to tag me at @donutworry_behealthy so I can see your creation and share in my stories!
↓PIN ME FOR LATER↓